
Our Thanksgiving was busy, but wonderful. We went to Jim and Pegi, Jarrod's folks, and then to mom's for dessert extravaganza. Even Heidi got in the spirit and made a Coconut cream pie, mmmmm... delicious and rich as hell. My weekend was consumed with the desserts that piled up in my house. I had made Jarrod a German Chocolate cake for our anniversary, then for Thanksgiving I prepared a cherry pie and frosted apple squares(recipe follows)All were awesome and delicious. But after thanksgiving was over at the Fortner's they sent us home with a quarter of a chocolate pie, a whole pumpkin pie, cranberry cheesecake bars, like an 8x8, and sugar cookies. AAARgh. I have been laid up for a week with a pulled muscle in my back which totally hurt, (its better now,thank goodness) So that means I've been laying around my house with nothing to do but eat dessert. Aye carumba, did I eat dessert. But thankfully my kids and Jarrod helped. Most has been consumed or thrown out. Everyone is well now and back to the routine, if I even have one anymore. Trying to finish up Max's quilt. But not motivated with GIRLS WEEKEND just around the corner!!!!!!! Hopefully all stays well.
FROSTED APPLE SQUARES
I used Golden Delicious and they were fantastic, but of course you can use any apple good for a pie.
Cut as pie:
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening
Add: Mix in cup with fork
2 egg yolks
5 Tbls. ice water
1 Tbls. lemon juice
Divide in two and make crust. Put one layer in pan and add two layers of apples. Combine 1 tablespoon flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 to 1 cup sugar. Dot with butter. Glaze top crust while warm with 1 tablespoon milk and powdered sugar. This is the BEST pie crust ever. I baked it at 375. Its and old timey recipe with no oven temp or time. Yummy
2 comments:
FYI- I found this same recipe in an old cookbook I (somehow) inherited, it said 400 degrees for 35-40 min. Take note Kari:)I agree it is the best crust ever and I have used it for regular pies! Yummy
This May be a stupid question but WAHT THE HECK IS THE PICTURE OF??
Audrey
Post a Comment