Why are there always such glaring double standards in family life? I was struck at how many I came across in a one-day period. A boy child is told to eat up, while a girl child is told to limit portions. One child is asked to help out more than another, simply because they are more agreeable and less of a "chore" to get something done.
Tonight my son, who is a rough-houser by nature, got upset with his sister (frustrated is more the word). In an attempt to properly display this emotion, he picks her up and throws her on the floor! Granted it was inches from the floor, but still! I was horrified. I hear my husband making comments from behind our closed bedroom door (imagine the teacher from Charlie Brown, that's how clear he was). So after I had resolved the problem I went in to ask him what his comments were. He basically said my daughter was probably getting "bucked" off (she's well known for her rough-housing as well). I explained to my husband what happened, and he exclaimed "But why does he have to go to bed? Its only 7:30!" Well......*sigh*
If this incident had occurred with another son, my husband would have jumped down his throat for putting his hands in a violent way on his sister. However, it being another son, he was in defense mode. What gives?
I'm mad at the double standards in my life. I'm mad at the double standards I can be blamed for. Just had to vent.
Chronicles of my family. Sort of like a family journal. All 8 of us. Jarrod and Kari (mom and dad)-married 11 years. Luke-12, Max-11 Sam-9, Olivia-6, Wyatt-4, Cicilia-1. It's Crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment