This is the butterfly Hayley came in to show me today. One of their many adventures out in the yard, on a gorgeous if only slightly chilly, Saturday. They found this lame butterfly. It just sat sadly on Hayley, probably wishing it could fly off, but alas no. Yesterday was a rainy day, ALL day. The kids were cooped up in the house. And we are finishing the drywall, so there was no main living area. Just the kitchen and basement and OJ and Wyatt's room. Boy the house felt VERY small yesterday. So this morning when the sun was shining they were all out as early as I would allow them. The whole neighborhood was out in force by one in the afternoon. Its so fun to see the whole flock of children wander from yard to yard with their adventures. I did have to break up a couple fights(yes physical fighting) between some neighbor kids. Thankfully none I can claim as my own. PHEW! And OJ almost got ran over by Aunt Molly. EEEk! Some mom I am. But I do have to say there were baby kittens involved, I think the lure was just too much for OJ to take. Needless to say she was in the house the rest of the evening. The kids played in our dirt pile, with shovels and cars, they played hospital, with our neighbor girl Reese as the damsel in distress. She was "dehydrated and passed out in the alley behind our house" -MAX. They plopped her on a snow sled with a rope tied on the front, one of the kids ran to get her towels and a water bottle. It was truly hilarious. Reese is 4 and a half, she was hamming it up. Looked pathetic and was even looking fainty. I had to ask her if she was actually okay. She gave me a smile. The adventures will be blogged as I become privvy to their games. Its truly fun to see so many kids join in and have a great time. The great time did leave a disaster in my yard. There were tableclothes, white plumbing PVC pipes, long 2x4's, every imaginable bike, scooter, skateboard, sled. Balls of all types, frisbees, helmets, bats, jumpropes, abandoned sweatshirts, the list goes on forever.
Next, as I said previously, we are finishing the drywall. I was helper today for Jarrod. At the end of the day, Luke badly wanted to help. Jarrod let him put the mud into the screw holes. Made his day. He reminds me of Jarrod a lot. They were so cute. The trade is being passed on. I'm sure its only a matter of time before the kids will have to be Forced to help their Dad. But not yet. Thank goodness. It was another messy day in our house, thankfully the mess is almost over. Almost.

2 comments:
Sounds like the days of old ... when it was safe for everyone to send the kids through the neighborhood to play unsupervised (as in the dark ages when I was a kid) ... I'm glad you still have that Mayberry feel to your world - what a gift for your kids! Oh and the "dehydrated and passed out" made me laugh out loud!
Angie, we truly are lucky. The side of Panama we live on is filled with dozens of kids my kids' ages. And it is small enough you know the parents. I do feel safe. Until their teenage years, eeek!
Post a Comment