Monday, October 11, 2010

My Hubs

I'm not quite sure what gets into my husband sometimes, but yesterday was one of those days I just go hmmm....

He was just so....well....domestic. This from man who would rather chew his own arm off than spend time in the kitchen unless he's harassing me while I'm in the kitchen. That's his favorite. So when he decided to put my lazy butt to shame yesterday, I felt no shame at all.

Our garden with all its incredible bounty this year, was left largely unattended. What with me having a suckling newborn and my husband working and going to school and picking up all the slack I was leaving in my wake, not much got done with said garden. Last summer we were ambitious, and that's putting it mildly. We put up so many jars of salsa, like 50 quarts, and half as many jars of other various tomato products. Then my morning sickness struck like lightning in the beginning of September last year and it was over.

This year, when contemplating our garden, I told the hubs not to plant 12 tomato plants, 6 pepper plants, jalapeno plants up the yin-yang. And he did what he was asked, however he did plant 6 tomato plants, and four green pepper plants. Well they were left largely unattended all summer. I picked the occasional group of tomatoes for salads and soups and pasta sauces, but left the others to rot off the vine.

Well yesterday Jarrod took all the remaining wares off the plants, which are awful looking now, and put up 8 quarts of salsa. HIS salsa. HIS salsa consists of regular salsa ingredients w/ corn and a bunch of fresh cilantro. Plus, he makes HIS with a lot of jalapenos. It really is the best salsa we've made. But this time I had little to do with it. I helped in the final canning process, that's it!

This time he enlisted our boys, who chopped their little hearts out. Our neighbor boy Brandon, who I always say is my son from another mother because he is here that much and Max is there equally as often and we live next door to one another, helped as well. They enjoyed it. I have a couple boys who I'm hoping will go to culinary school, just so they can visit and leave me in a state of culinary bliss.

The salsa making in itself is not such a miracle, Jarrod does this every year. The miracle was the state of my kitchen when all was said and done, and well in the middle of it all as well. MY KITCHEN WAS IMMACULATE! My husband is the messiest cook. Hands. Down. Period. A one-pot meal can in his hands turn into a seven pot, plus twelve utensils, plus every cup/plate/dish we own. So to see at every stage of salsa making he was cleaning, I just smiled and praised his cleanliness, silently praying to the Lord thanking Him for letting my husband be so thoughtful.

So at 10 when we turned in for the night, with eight gorgeous quarts of corn/cilantro salsa sitting on a dishtowel on our counter, the remainder of the kitchen was gorgeous. So he left for work today receiving a BIG smooch and a smack on the rump! Loving my man extra today.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

We love salsa :) I've never made my own, it's something I want to do..someday. About every 2 weeks we make nachos...not the chips and cheese...we go all out, ground meat and any trimming that we all can agree on or we do two platters, one for the boys and one for us.

I will say this, I make awesome guac :) Gosh, now I'm going to have to revise my menu for the week....

Kari F. said...

Glad to leave you salivating!

Sheila said...

What a honey!