Monday, October 25, 2010

Inspiration

I was perusing my favorite foodie blogs this morning and one of them touched on a subject that I too have been using in my own household. INSPIRATION! This woman was talking about how she and her husband for years stood in the kitchen and cut up and portioned out their children's meals. Then delivered the plates to the kids sitting at the table. This was always how I had approached meal times, well that is until the past couple months.



HELLO.....MCFLY!



It dawned on me that I have an almost 12 year old (SHUT UP! can you believe it?!?) 10 year old, 8 year old, 5 1/2 year old, 3 (although very mature) year old, and well Cici (AGOO!). Anyway, my point is that my children are old, and old enough to fill their own plates, determine their own appropriate portion (or get pointers from their mother). This makes dinner not only a little easier for me, as I don't have to have my children breathing down my neck to serve them dinner, but life skills are being implemented. Being polite, taking turns, and being considerate of others. For the older ones there is assisting the younger ones in dishing up and general dinnertime things.

I must admit that this time of dinner is chaos, I won't even pretend there is some semblance of order, there's not. Not. At. All. But its a goal to strive for.

Yet another goal I have set, now that football is over and we have two weekday evenings wide open, is to teach my older boys another one of life's most important life skills...cooking.

I want to involve them in meal planning, list making, and meal prep. I think this may drive me nuts in the beginning, but I think it's a genius idea. Certainly not original, but of high value. I can't wait for the one on one time with each of my big guys. They are growing up entirely too fast, and I want them to take with them a few memories of their mom NOT barking commands.

I'll try to get pictures and post how it's going. More soon.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

It will be good times. Joe was great fun and did really well. A natural. JR, I didn't stick with, he was an in and out kinda guy (if memory serves me well?)

Sandra said...

Such a great idea Kari! I try to do this as well. We have implemented morning, mealtime and night time chores and try our best to stick with the routine of them. Some evenings are difficult if we have commitments and are rushing, but most of the time it works well...the hard part is us parents being disciplined and patient enough to teach them, encourage and remind them every single day/time!! :) Good luck and have fun.