Monday, June 14, 2010

Hubby's on a roll around these parts.



Jarrod has always preferred to spend his free time outdoors. That's just who he is. This being the main reason we are raising our children to find their fun, and spend their time outdoors. Plus, our house being as small as it is, and our family being as BIG as it is, outdoors provides them with much more space.



So, Jarrod being outdoors and on a roll.....He's been planting and digging and cultivating and tilling. His "shop" is getting some much needed reorganization. Our driveway by the garage (aka "shop) was a muddy, rutted mess. He found a poor, unsuspecting neighbor to loan him a front-loader/digger thingy. And for hours he grated, dug up, flattened out our neglected driveway. This winter put a lot of wear and tear on our driveway.



BUT today.....TODAY......he did something that I thought would never get done, EVER!



We have a railing over the stairs that lead to the basement. Its right as you walk in the back door. You could plummet to your death if it weren't for said railing. The only problem was the railing itself was, well, frighteningly rickety. And wobbly, and loose, and well not secure. I would watch in terror as one of my children leaned their rears on it to help in shoe-removal, as I would go running, screaming, "DON'T LEAN ON THE RAILING, YOU'LL FALL TO YOUR DEATH!!!"



The good thing is, I only have to yell it once, and its so burned into their psyche they will never intentionally lean on it again. Mission accomplished.



Today my husband fixed it! He built the 2x4 frame, screwed it in place, put drywall on it, put on the cornerbead, and voila! a half wall/railing. This railing is unmoveable. Trust me I checked. I leaned on it, jolted it, shook it(and it didn't shake!). Nothing!



It took the lovely fella 7 years to replace the old, but God bless him, its done. And I'm in awe of him for doing it.



He already moved on, back to the outdoors, to clean out the gutters and fixing one that was in need of repair.



I love that guy!

No comments: