Thursday, June 24, 2010

DO YOU KNOW THE MUFFIN MAN?


Today is "muffin day" at the Fortner household. In all I'll probably only end up making three batches, and they will get eaten in their entirety in the next two days. I love making muffins. My children LOVE helping me make muffins.

This morning Wyatt was one of only two of my children awake. And Luke doesn't show much interest in helping in the kitchen. But Wyatt is a whole other story. Two years old is old enough to do most of the muffin making work in my opinion. I do the measuring, he dumps. He stirs, I finish and make sure the batter is completely mixed. He uses an ice cream scoop to dump the mix into the muffin pan. This is his favorite part, aside from "testing" the choc. chips to make sure they're fresh. I make sure the batter is evenly distributed and then the licking of utensils and bowl ensues.

I love it how Wyatt and OJ have a sixth sense about when I'm about to begin baking. In all honesty they've had quite a bit of practice learning the cues. Being pregnant all of the previous school year, and these two being the two home with me in my gestation, we did a heckuva lot of baking. And I only gained 16 pounds. This in itself was a minor miracle.

I was just beginning to get down the pails of flour when Wyatt comes pounding into the kitchen, pulls up the step ladder and starts chanting "I wanna watch you, I wanna help you!" Of course you can! So together we made the first batch. Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. Major family favorite. The pan is empty, and was emptied immediately. As we all ate two. YUM!

Next up is banana bran muffins. Then maybe off the muffin track a bit and make a banana bread in a tube pan. I got a lot of overripe bananas.

When I make muffins, for the most part, they are extremely healthful. I tweak recipes to include at least half whole wheat flour and substitute most if not all the fat with applesauce. The kids don't care and then I don't feel like I'm doing them a disservice by letting them have three or four muffins in a day. Some of them would eat twice that many if I'd let them.

Alright gotta go get the muffin show on the road!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sandra said...

All I can say is yum. :-) I love baking breads and muffins and a selection of desserts. However my main gig is cooking, not baking. Too bad we're not neighbors...all those boys and all that baking ;-)

Glad you're doing well and enjoy your little baby munchkin..they grow fast, I can't believe Raphael is almost FIVE months.

Anonymous said...

Wyatt is going to be the next TOP CHEF!!!

Aud

Sheila said...

What fun pictures!! So fun to look back on. Pictures with a story. Love computers for that alone. Tell Wyatt that I'm needing a muffin from the "muffin man"