Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Thankful

Every once in a while I will post my "Thankful Senses. " Actually got this idea from another blogger that I stalk sometimes. Its a great way for me to keep perspective, when at times it gets lost in the mundane or the crazy. When I start to feel sorry for myself I need a way to snap myself out of it. So here goes nothing.

I am grateful for the smell of....coffee brewing. I have recently discovered coffee is one of the main culprits in my heartburn (DANG IT!). Although I will have to cut back on good ol' Joe, I still appreciate the waft, the lovely aroma.

I am grateful for the sound of....Wyatt singing. He has taken to following in his big sisters footsteps where singing is concerned. And while OJ when she's not yelling her songs, often can bring tears to my eyes. Hearing Wyatt sing, is excruciatingly hilarious. Its like a whiny fuss, that is drawn out. I check on him often when he's "singing". I think some one's hurting him, or he's in pain. So I check, chuckle, and wince, and listen some more.

I am grateful for the feel of....my husband's hugs. I had a really hard day yesterday. It was a hair puller! He came home and nestled me in his arms and I laid my head on his chest and slumped. Sometimes I could stand there for five minutes. If I didn't make it that long last night, it was close. Thanks Honey!

I am grateful for the sight of....all the piles of folded laundry. I hate laundry. And my "load" *chuckle* never lightens. I do appreciate it when I can get in laundry mode and get the dreaded chore done. Today was a day where I folded and then immediately put the clothes away. Usually my pattern is: wash, dry, put in basket, let clothes sit until the wrinkles are firmly set in, fold (trying hard to smooth out set in wrinkles), wait four days then put half of them away, fold twelve more baskets*, then fold those and add to the other baskets of folded laundry. I don't think I can say I've ever started laundry in the morning, finished, and had all the clothes put away by the end of the day. But I'm okay with that.

*exaggeration alert

I am grateful for the taste of....cantaloupe. I bought a melon. They called to me. Really, how many apples (which I do love) and oranges can one woman seriously be expected to consume before the call of summer fruits beckon. Well when I was shopping they were shouting from the produce department. So I caved, they were reasonably priced, so I did it. It wasn't like eating one fresh from my garden, but it was tolerable. And the kids devoured it with the same relish I did. I also received some cherries today, and the kids hungrily and greedily devoured those as well.

2 comments:

Angie Clayton said...

I can only imagine that your laundry is NEVER done - I have trouble keeping up with mine and there's only two of us! Thanks for the reminder to give thanks in the "littles."

Sheila said...

Thank you Kari. There's nothing quite like a grateful list to put one back on track. I remember my Dad always had one going. He'd printed off tablets; Today I Am Grateful For: with blank spaces #'d 1-12 to fill in. I think I still have a few tucked away. Reading your list took me back to the So. 25th St. laundry room. Standing in front of the sink full of dirty cloth diapers. I was giving them one last quick rinse before putting them in the washer. I remember being so tired and so much to do and out of my mouth came a litany of thank you Lord for... dirty diapers from a healthy baby. But I always remember that day. The key to turning a bad day into a better one. I remember thinking that there were women in the world at that moment who had lost a baby or had found that they were not able to have a baby. How they would give anything to trade places, even if it meant standing there doing diapers and feeling sorry for themselves. And I too at that moment knew I was blessed even if I was falling apart. God Bless you sweetie.