Today was the day I have been dreading. Of all the seven days Jarrod was to be gone, today was seemingly horrible. Well it hasn't turned out so. Molly and I have donut duty at our church in October. Molly the doll that she is, let me know she'd handle to brunt because I had to get Luke and Max to their football game by 11:30 am. We left the church at 10:20, came home everyone changed. The boys got all their gear and ready to go. I had to pack snacks for everyone, Wyatt needed a diaper change, dixie had to be let out, fed and watered. Then it was right back in the car at 11:15. We headed to Norris. The boys thus far were undefeated. They were about to be opposed by the only other undefeated team in their division. The day was breezy, really breezy(like 30mph winds).
The game was #%#^%&* unbelieveable. The first half, not a single point. The game was a defensive battle all the way. Neither team allowing the other to advance to the goal, let alone score a point. Half time... The boys came back and Gretna Gold(the OTHER team) scored a goal, but no extra point. We let them have the momentum for the third quarter. Although we never let them score again that quarter. Finally the fourth quarter, and our boys fought like warriors. I think their only scoring drive lasted six minutes, it was excuciating. I had to take OJ to the bathroom and missed the touchdown. There were like four or five minutes left in the game. The bleachers were pumped up. Everyone screaming and yelling, stomping and cheering. It was AWESOME! Just stopping Gretna from scoring again was cause for celebration. The score was 6-6. Overtime, baby! They have a coin toss, gretna won. That team goes to the ten yard line facing the goal, the other team has to stop them from scoring. We stopped them! Our turn, try as we might, they stopped us as well. Bummer.
We were all waiting to see how this was going to work, double overtime, does that even happen in pee wee football? Yes! It does happen. Another coin toss, we won. We go to the ten yard line again. No dice, four downs later we were held back, seriously inches from the goal line. Their turn, AGAIN. They don't get it on first down, second down...they fumble, we recover! Yes! The stands were hilarious. People on their feet, stomping, we were seriously screaming until it hurt.
Triple overtime? YUP! coin toss, we won. They go again to the ten yard line. They hold us back first down, second down, third down, and fourth down, we were held again. Their turn, they are held back through three downs, yet on their fourth they kick a field goal and make it. Heartbreak. It was written on all the boys faces. The drooped and slowly walked to the sideline to line up for "good game" . They had a lenghty team meeting on the sidelines. We were all so unbelieveably proud of how hard those boys fought. Play after play they never gave up. It broke our hearts to see them lose. The parents lined up at the exit of the field, to cheer them on as they came off the field. A lot of the boys looked as if they had been crying, or were just fighting back tears. Oh even thinking of it now makes me cry again. I totally welled up, they just worked so darn hard!
I think they will go to a friendship bowl. Then they will have their banquet, and football season will be over for the year. I was just bursting in pride. Had to share it. Hope everyone else's weekend is going well.
Chronicles of my family. Sort of like a family journal. All 8 of us. Jarrod and Kari (mom and dad)-married 11 years. Luke-12, Max-11 Sam-9, Olivia-6, Wyatt-4, Cicilia-1. It's Crazy.
3 comments:
I'm totally worn out.I would have been off taking a walk. The anxiety of the suspense totally overwhelms me. Tell the boys WOW!! I can only imagine how exhausted they were and they kept at it. What phenomonal sportsmen they are. G.Sheila
GO EAGLES!!
We love the boys for all their effort!!
Auntie Auddie :)
That was great narration Kari! I got flashes of all the great football movies... Man, a triple OT pee wee game, unbelievable. I need to make it to one of the games next year. Hope to see you soon.
Post a Comment