Monday, June 18, 2012

Summer So Far

Our summer has been blurry.  We're still so busy with sports it's hard to find a moment of rest or peace.  Want a rundown?  Well here it goes:

Luke is currently in summer school four days a week.  He's off riding his skateboard trying to master tricks.  He's been Jarrod's work sidekick quite a bit.  Soon he'll be starting his first real job, detasseling.  Seriously, I cannot wait to see how he does.  Luke is sometimes unmotivated in the work department.  It's been so hot, I wonder how he'll do?

Max is still in his long baseball season.  With weekly double headers (sometimes more) and practices he can be spread a little thin.  This leaves him grumpy more then I'd like, but this too shall pass.  His season is over at the end of June.  This will leave him more time to play baseball in the yard with Wyatt and attempts to put together a T-ball team.  He would also like to devote most of his free time fishing.  He'll only have four weeks of break before football season starts for him.  He's an animal!  But he loves it, and we want to support that as much as possible.

Sam is playing baseball as well.  His regular season has ended though.  They still have tournaments to get through.  We're contemplating 4-H for him.  We'll see if it's an avenue for Sam to explore all his varying interests.  He's still a sweet kid who rarely gives me any trouble.  He needs a little more structure I think.  So we'll find fun things for him to do.

Olivia is in softball, their season is still going.  She's the youngest on a young team.  They are having a challenging season.  She loves it despite their losing most games. She remains enthusiastic, that's all that matters.  I'm going to check out 4-H for her too.  They have lots of things she'd love to get involved in.  Otherwise she's running around town playing with all her friends.  The other day her and some of the neighbor girls were sitting at a youth sized card table on the sidewalk, eating food and drinking kool-aid out of cute goblets.  It was precious.  Mostly it made me happy with how her childhood is going.  She constantly tries to grow up too fast.

Wyatt is not involved in anything, yet seems to be the most wiped out of everyone.  At nearly five years old, he tries to keep up with everyone.  Too much for him sometimes.  He is Max's shadow, which Max gracefully allows.  He is a little ball player, constantly swinging and throwing.  I can't wait until he's older and can actually put his skills to some good use.  He is dying to join a team.  My goal for him is to find him some activities to put him in this final year at home.

Cicilia is so grown up.  She has the run of the house.  Most gates and other obstacles are obsolete.  She has such determination to keep up with her older siblings that nothing is going to get in her way.  Like OJ she is not the cleanest little girl.  Her shirts are always soaking.  Although it's a lot more work to stain-fight, I love that she gets down and dirty.  She's growing like a weed.  For Cici, I need to ween her off her binkies and get her in big girl panties.  These will wait until the school year has begun again.

Jarrod and I are spending the evenings melting into the couch for five minutes after the kids go to bed, just to get up and go to bed ourselves.  I long for the days when my kids were little and would be in bed by 8:30 on summer evenings, leaving plenty of time for Jarrod and I to catch up with each other.  My kids are so old.  They could outlast Jarrod and I by a long shot.  We're both very busy, but like it that way.

No comments: