Olivia had a concert at school last night. She lives and breathes music and dancing. She doesn't take classes or lessons, she simply loves. I love watching her in her element. She gets to dress up (though not as fancy as some) and wear her high heels (which are 1/2 a size too small, but which I couldn't find a suitable replacement pair YET!).
At home OJ is in command (a.k.a. bossy). In fact, at one point several years ago, maybe at age 3-4, I sought out children's books to help her understand that no one likes being bossed. Especially by someone many years their junior. OJ's command post is not only occupied at home, as I became aware last night. She holds a command post at school as well, but of course she does.
Like most school programs, the children stand atop risers, so all are in view of the audience. OJ was on riser three of four. She was also surrounded by boys in her class, not her grade, her class. At least they all know her well at this point in the year, and were probably not shocked by her behavior. In fact I believe a couple of them found her funny. She had three boys standing above/behind her, two on both sides of her and three in front of/below her.
Before the concert began, but while the children were in their positions ready to sing, the principal comes out to give his schpeel about the teachers (who do work very hard), and the staff who help prep the shows, and the kids, yadda, yadda, yadda. I was intently watching my lovely daughter. Who, by the way, when wearing heels, has a totally different personality. Seriously. Miss Priss.
I watched her shush two boys standing behind her, pull one poor boy (who was standing beside her) towards her in order to get him into proper positioning, and she corrected the collar on a fourth boy. I was oddly proud of my girl. She truly understands what it is to be a woman in a world of loud, messy, fitful boys. I laughed loudly, sitting all by myself, amongst many strangers.
Chronicles of my family. Sort of like a family journal. All 8 of us. Jarrod and Kari (mom and dad)-married 11 years. Luke-12, Max-11 Sam-9, Olivia-6, Wyatt-4, Cicilia-1. It's Crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment