In order to keep their identity secret, in this blog post I'll be referring to this person as "Duke". Duke is a great kid. While he does enjoy torturing his siblings, he's always helpful. While he complains about chores, he does them. He doesn't like to disappoint his mom, which I use to my advantage. Wouldn't you. For instance, Sunday mornings are always, without exception, the worst part of my week. I'm so rushed getting six kids and myself ready for church that it usually results in a very grumpy mom. Duke will see me deteriorating and rally the sibs to cooperate and mind me. Cool, huh?
However, Duke doesn't like to do his school work. The more we harp, the worse the grades. He's getting to an age where mom and dad shouldn't be on his back 24/7 to bring work home, to study for tests, to complete work in a timely manner. He digs his heels in and doesn't work. We have yelled, begged, I have cried on a couple of frustrated occasions. We have taken him back to school after the school bus dropped him off because his grades are awful and yet no work was brought home.
I exert so much energy on this one child. I've felt for some time that it's unfair to my other school-agers. They may not need help like Duke, but I would like to be available if need arises. Duke will be attending summer school this year, which is tough as a parent to take. It hurts the pride, you know? My mom said I need to remember it's not mine to take on though. It's not for a lack of effort on our part. Duke hasn't taken advantage of our help and guidance. Yes, I will always be there when he has questions, yes I will still remind him to do his work when he gets home, and cheer him on to succeed. But the success NEEDS to be his. Not mine. If Duke is to succeed, he has to be the initiator. It'll be hard to not ride him every. single. day. However, this life lesson is about getting going when the going gets tough.
The school year is almost through and I really hope for a miracle. Lord, he needs it.
Chronicles of my family. Sort of like a family journal. All 8 of us. Jarrod and Kari (mom and dad)-married 11 years. Luke-12, Max-11 Sam-9, Olivia-6, Wyatt-4, Cicilia-1. It's Crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment