Saturday, August 13, 2011

Time keeps marching....

Summer is wrapping up.  Like most parents this is a bittersweet time.  I'm glad to have the daily break that sending four kids off on the school bus provides, and to spend lots of extra quality time with my two babies still at home.  However, with school returns the crazy nights of homework, football practice, and trying to find time for each of my big kids resumes.  That's my biggest struggle, making sure the four oldest know I'm here for them.  It's hard. 

In cheerier news of time marching, Miss Cici is growing up in leaps and bounds.  It's scary how fast it's all going this sixth time around.  I knew when she hit billy goat status at one year, that that meant she'd be doing everything super fast.  She still climbs on every single thing she's able, but now instead of just climbing her milestones are mounting.  She tells me when she needs changed in a one year old way.  She will willingly lay down on the floor when I grab a fresh diaper and the box of wipes.  Who does that?  One day I said, "Cici, I'm gonna change your diaper, go lay down." and she did.  Freaky.

When night falls, and it's bedtime for my girl, I say Cici "Time for bed!  Let's go nigh-night."  And off she zooms for her crib where she waits for me to lift her.  Again,  WHAT?!

I truly cannot remember if any of my children showed such cooperation.  I'm sorry to admit that most of the minute details of my former baby's lives are truly blurs.  Isn't that sad?  I think on it often.  Trying to recollect what Max behaved like at Cici's age, because they look so much alike at Cici's age, is proving near impossible.  WAAA!  Although I do know that at age 4 Max and I butt heads like I still can't believe one can butt heads with a child.  So some things are clear, while others just disappear. 

I think my mom would say it's because right now my life is so busy.  One day just blurs into the next.  Does that mean that someday I'll look back and suddenly remember the songs OJ would sing during her independent play?  When was it precisely that Luke began his obsession with cars?  When Sam began reading?  These are all things that have been (temporarily?) hidden from my memory. 

This Thursday I will send my four oldest off on the bus and I will breathe a sigh of relief.  I hope they had fun this summer.  We did some fun stuff and spent a lot of time together.  I'd say it was a good summer.  Not too filled with strife, well not as much as some summers.  So I'll deem it a success.


1 comment:

Sheila said...

I love hearing your ruminations. Love you Kari, you are the best ever!