While I AM a stay-at-home mom, and do have lots of time during the day to figure out, thaw, and prep dinner, would you believe that it is perhaps the biggest thorn in my side? Well, it is.
I despise figuring out what to make for dinner. I like cooking, and am pretty good at it, and I like to eat. But spending time figuring out what I have on hand, what could be a proper substitution for sour cream, or cream of chicken soup bothers me.
I am a food blog fanatic, and usually find inspiration from these blogs. Quite a few on these blogs I frequent, besides the great photography and witty content, post weekly menus. Not that they have everyday pinned for a gourmet meal. I love it when they say "winging it" or "leftovers." Cause you know that's how I roll.
Menu planning for a family of eight is smart. Not only economically, but from an organization standpoint. When I create a meal plan for my family, dinners are done and prepped and delicious. It doesn't take that much thought for me, but I like to add new meals frequently. I want my kids to try things like asparagus, avocados, olives, feta cheese, and hummus. In fact I want them to like all these things and request them.
You will not find me making a meal I don't like. I will not make a box of mac and cheese, even though the kids love them, unless I have a plan for myself. I detest that crap. Selfish? Maybe. But I don't want to cook things and not enjoy them.
I have given menu planning several tries, and usually begin to peeter out around the fifth week of menu/shopping list planning. My husband will tell you I stink at writing down the things we need at the store. Tis true, I'm afraid. I try to keep it in my mental log, however it has glitches more frequently than I care to admit. So my mental log fails, and continuously fail to pick up a necessity in the kitchen almost every week.
I believe my sister Emily got every single bit of organization DNA from the York-Kuchta's. I deal with the cards I've been dealt.
I want to post my menu for this week because it will keep me accountable and it's fun blog fodder. To me anyways. I will post five meals and they aren't in order, just the meals I will make throughout the week.
Week One (again)
Homemade Pizza/Fruit Salad (I will post this recipe, even though it's ridiculously easy, my children LOVE it)
Meat and Bean Burritos/Rice/Salad
Pasta (probably just a marinara and cheese)/broccoli
Grill Nite-Pork Chops/Baked Potatoes/Salad (I'm making this tonight)
Grill Nite #2-Kabobs (Does anyone else call them shishkabobs, my kids look at me funny?)w/ mushrooms,peppers,onions,zucchini/fresh fruit/baked bread
Weekends are usually free-for-all's and we are having a duo Party on Sunday for Mother's Day and Cici's First Birthday!
Chronicles of my family. Sort of like a family journal. All 8 of us. Jarrod and Kari (mom and dad)-married 11 years. Luke-12, Max-11 Sam-9, Olivia-6, Wyatt-4, Cicilia-1. It's Crazy.
3 comments:
I go thru menu planning phases, never consistent, but desire to do so. Love summer for it's simplicity in menu choices, fresh and light.
Em
Ooooh, 2 new blog entries. Love the pre-summer pics. And your shopping technique sounds like mine. Sure it'll pop out of my memory when I get to the store, then get home and... a few things missing. John would have a list.
I'm so behind on blog reading, writing and comments. :) Thanks for yours btw.
I totally have a love/hate relationship with menu planning. I'm a list gal, so if we run out I write it down...and YET it seems i come home from a decent sized grocery shop and I forget an essential...like cheese.
I do think my heart skips a beat though at the idea of grilling...mmm.....grilled meat & fish always taste sooo good! :)
Post a Comment