Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Refrigerator All-bran muffins

My kids love, love, love all-bran muffins. So strange because they are simple and no-frills, but they love 'em. Just a drizzle of honey and they are complete. Bonus, they are very high in fiber. With a few tweaks to the recipe I've amped that up a bit.

Six week refrigerator bran muffins:

(I will post original recipe adding my tweaks next to it.)

1 box of all bran cereal (The recipe calls for 15 oz box, I used 18.5 oz box, so I backed off the flour 1/2 c.)

5c. flour (I used 2 1/2 c. all purpose, and 2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour)

3 tsp. baking soda

1 quart buttermilk

2 tsp. salt

4 eggs

1 c. oil (I used 15 oz. applesauce, plus a hefty 1/4 c. oil)

3 c. sugar (3c. really?! Since we always drizzle honey I backed it off a cup, and next time I may back it down to 1 1/2 c., I added 1 c. brown sugar and 1 c. white sugar)

In a very large bowl combine all dry ingredients. In another large bowl mix the wet ingredients. Make a well in the dry and add the wet, mixing until all ingredients are well incorporated. Don't over mix. Now transfer the mix to a large Tupperware container. May leave in refrigerator for up to six weeks! Mine will not last that long, but enjoy.

I cooked mine at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, but start checking after 15. Yummm.

No comments: