Saturday, August 21, 2010

Thankful

This week has been a whirlwind of activity. The boys are in football, which truthfully, I despise. I love that they have the opportunity to engage in team sports, which Max thrives on and is important for all of them. But being a homebody who doesn't like to venture out much unless its to my mom's house or the grocery store, its straining. On my time, on my energy, on my patience. I hate getting angry at my children because we have somewhere to be at such and such time, and NO ONE is ready. I get frustrated with myself because I get angry at kids, KIDS. For whom time is not on their list of important things. As adults we come to appreciate being on time, and appreciate when others are considerate and are on time. But alas kids could care a friggin' less. I want to be a child again. I wanna care a friggin' less.

OJ started Kindegarten on Thursday and all went well. I totally underplanned the amount of time it was going to take to get four kids off to the bus. Throwing a girl in the mix has wreaked all kinds of havoc on the routine. The boys are oiled machinery, while OJ is well....a girl. She flits around, in her own world. Then I have to do hair. HAIR?!! I'm not fond of this chore, and as unfond :) as I am of this I assure you OJ is even more unfond!!! ( I love making up words.) She never likes how I do her hair, NEVER. We have very different visions for her loveliness. Outfit decisions are on a plane never before seen in my male dominated household. My boys pick a t-shirt and shorts, white socks, and voila! they are out the door. Oh how simple my life was, and I never realized it until I had to get a girl off to school. But I am thankful that she came home beaming both days this week.

I am thankful for the.....
  • sound of silence that swept through my house after my children boarded the bus. It was deafening, in a good way.
  • sight of OJ's outfits that she picks out oh so carefully.
  • smell of lysol, as I have been able to do cleaning that has long ago been neglected.
  • taste of coffee, always and forever my favorite way to start even the craziest of days.
  • feel of my bed after so many long and busy days, it envelops me and I'm swept away in sleep moments after my head lays down.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I can't even imagine the shock of sending a girl off to school after only having boys...great description. Perfect homebody sentiment as well...we are comfortable in our own little domains. Not so good as go-go, busy-busy people, but even we sometimes have to leave the nest, lol.

Sheila said...

Your story-telling is wonderful Kari.
Thank you.

And my nest is still my sweetest spot.

Though I do love to visit my daughters' nests and know that theirs are precious to them also. What mother birds we are...