I am now approximately 10 weeks postpartum. No baby blues to speak of . I lost a ton of weight in the beginning. Was down from even my pre-pregnancy weight, which rocks! However, the days of my hyperglycemic post-partum days are OVER! I have now faced the facts that I am consuming way too much sugar, which has always been my downfall. I know that this is detrimental to me, but also to my nursing daughter.
Kicking the refined sugar habit is hard, I mean like I'd rather give up smoking again (I don't smoke anymore) a million times rather than go through the sugar withdrawls. Its true that your body reacts in a negative manner when you become hooked on sugar. I've dealt with nicotine withdrawl, caffeine withdrawl (which also really stinks!), and have kicked sugar before.
It makes me sweat thinking about it.
I love to bake, it brings me much satisfaction. But I love to eat all of it too. I really got into the groove of making my healthy baking treats. Then the switch began. I started making cookies and brownies. My metabolism was on over-drive from nursing and just having a baby. That has since waned, although I'm still nursing.
I am technically overweight, although since I lost the bulk of my weight seven years ago, I've always hovered in the mid 140's to 150 and am satisfied with that weight. I am only satisfied with the numbers as long as I get exercise and I'm eating healthy. I am NOT doing the eating part well.
Confession time: Yesterday I ate a package of convenience store donuts, a double cheeseburger meal from McDonalds, I made cookies in the afternoon and ate, well, I don't really want to reveal how many I ate, not to mention the dough consumption. I didn't eat dinner and drank three light vodka tonics at my neighbors. (Don't worry Cici was drinking milk I'd pumped). How's that for a daily diet? Did I intake any fiber, not really. Protein, well yes, but with how much fat? The carbs and fat were way over the top.
Now I do not eat like this on a regular basis. Fast food is few and far between in my world. Hello! Six kids here! The guilt today is on an all-time high. I know there's really no point in feeling guilty over food already eaten, but I can't help it. Even today I'm rectifying the way I ate yesterday with good, healthy eating today. Oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast, and a small pb/banana shake. Large salad and baked potato for lunch. Now I just need to up my water consumption which was at a low yesterday. My poor baby!
I found a website that calculates how many calories you use in one day, and according to this website I use 2766 kcal a day. That's a lot! If I want to maintain my weight that's how many calories I should consume. I NEVER have counted calories, NEVER! The thought alone gives me the creepos. But I know that should I conquer sugar once again I would drop weight like a stone.
So prayers please. My goal is health, not weight. I need all the help I can get. *gulp*
Chronicles of my family. Sort of like a family journal. All 8 of us. Jarrod and Kari (mom and dad)-married 11 years. Luke-12, Max-11 Sam-9, Olivia-6, Wyatt-4, Cicilia-1. It's Crazy.
2 comments:
Kari-you can do it! I've had a long road after this last pregnancy. I'm 40 pounds down and have 40 more to go and it's a LONG haul. Every woman's body is so different. While most lose weight fast when nursing, I actually retain more water and fat due to nursing which makes the weight loss very very slow and hard.
I'm not a huge baker, but I have found when I limit my wheat to about once or twice a month I feel SOO good....but it's very hard to do that sometimes :)
No matter what, work hard to achieve your goal, because if you're doing if for health that's the key and you'll feel so good!
:)
Thanks Sandra. I regretted posting this one after I did, because I sometimes forget that I shouldn't type everything that pops into my head! However, I know its something most of us can relate to.
Post a Comment