Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Make your own pizza

Pizza Crust:

1 cup warm water
1 pkg or 2 1/2 tsp. yeast

Mix these two together. I always add a teaspoon of sugar, then mix. Yeast activates better with a little food, or so I hear.

When the yeast has proofed for a bit and is frothy add:

2 3/4- 3 c. flour
2 tsp. olive oil
large pinch of salt

Mix dough until combined. Plus, I alway knead dough for maybe 30 turns ( I L.O.V.E. kneading dough)

Put some oil in a large bowl, turn dough to coat, and let sit in a warm place w/ a towel covering it until doubled. Turn out dough and split into two balls. Roll out as thin as you like, and let sit on counter covered for 5-10 minutes to rest, then roll a bit more.

I can usually make two sheet pans worth of pizza, which is plenty for my large gang, with leftovers for hubby.

With pizza crust you will need this quick and easy Pizza Sauce:

1 6oz can of tomato paste
1 can petite diced tomatoes (can use regular diced tomatoes or tomato sauce I bet, but I prefer chunks, and my kids prefer not such big chunks)
1 T. olive oil
pizza seasoning (I use Tones Spicy Spaghetti seasoning which is a great blend, get it now!)
I also usually add red pepper flakes to the sauce ( I add it to everything)

Add any toppings you desire. I'm big on turkey pepperoni, mozz cheese, and hamburger spiced w/ garlic, onion, and more spaghetti seasoning! Yummy.

Put all ingredients in a big bowl, stir, and VOILA! pizza sauce. It usually is more than sufficient in covering my pizzas with some leftover for pita pizzas later in the week for lunch.

Both recipes are courtesy my sister Molly. Its been a go-to recipe of mine and her's for a long time.

2 comments:

Angie Clayton said...

A variation I've discovered: If you like really thin crust pizza, use HOT water - it "kills" the yeast for the most part, and go straight from the mixing bowl to rolling it out, no rise. Bake at 450 for 5 mins, flip and bake 3-5 mins more, then proceed to dress it up!

Angie Clayton said...

Oh and bake for approximately 5 mins more after all your toppings are on.