Six months ago or so, I started implementing a Saturday morning cleanup. Before this I would randomly select a time and chores for the kids to do. They always made their beds, picked up the general mess, and unloading the dishwasher were the main regular chores that were done irregularly. Then I began thinking that there has to be a better more efficient way, where things actually got really cleaned up and took more of the load off me.
Now I'm not using my children as slave labor. They are not forced to do chores that are above their capabilities. They are also not forced to spend hours cleaning on their weekend. Although how long their chores take is ultimately up to them and their level of procrastination. And how many chores and/or difficulty depends on their age. I still do most of the cleaning during the week while the kids are in school. I do all the laundry, although I'm beginning to think Luke and Max could use some basic tutorials in sorting, running the machines, and folding. Not to use them on a regular basis, but when I have the new baby, getting a load in the washing machine, etc, will come in handy, when I have my hands full. I make the meals and do most of the cleanup of said meals during the week.
Anyways, Saturday mornings are the perfect day and time to get some serious cleaning done around here. And right now its 11:00 am Saturday morning, and I am sitting blissfully in my clean house. It smells good, the dust has been diminished greatly, the stinky downstairs bathroom has been temporarily disinfected. The dishes are done, the floors vacuumed (except for my room :) beds are made. I'm in heaven.
I realize this is a temporary state. I also realize that right now all my children are outside. Have you been outside? Yes there are mudslides, mudpuddles, and mudmountains around every corner, heck right out my back door. So while my entryway is vacuumed and shoes in the shoe bucket, in moments it will be littered with muddy pants, shoes, gloves, coats, etc. and I'm okay with that. Just as long as they get fresh air and warm-ish fresh air at that!
What the most amazing transformation of this routine is not that my house is clean, but that my kids know what's coming and mostly do it with acceptance and usually a good attitude, which is key. For instance, Luke, who I'll be honest is the biggest whiner about chores, was helping me with the stuff I was cleaning this morning. He went into the toy room, which he rarely plays in, and cleaned up all the toys off the floor so I could continue my vacuuming uninterrupted. And he did it without being asked! I didn't even hint, give puppy dog eyes, nothin'! How about that?!?
I appreciate every task they accomplish, no matter how small. It simply makes our very small house much nicer to dwell in, for all of us.
Chronicles of my family. Sort of like a family journal. All 8 of us. Jarrod and Kari (mom and dad)-married 11 years. Luke-12, Max-11 Sam-9, Olivia-6, Wyatt-4, Cicilia-1. It's Crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment