Friday, November 07, 2008

PEARPALOOZA!




I, weeks ago, received from my lovely neighbor, bushels of pears. The pears I am now conviced are Kieffer pears. Thats a cross between asian pears and bartlett pears. All the awesome flavor of a bartlett, but crunchy like an asian pear. So I have been processing my pears in numerous ways. Yesterday I canned a gigantic bowl of sliced pears, and what did it amount to? Three measley quarts of sliced pears. Today I tried my hand at drying pears. Oh My gosh! So delicious. You can see in the pic where I had already dove into the pears. Of course I already called mom to rub in how good they are. I'm trying pearsauce in the above right picture. It tasted so good, although I don't think that it will ever be as thick as applesauce. Its quite loose in consistency. But delicious nonetheless.

This is all that's new around this place. Pears, pears, pears.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

The Three Jo(e)'s said...

Pears are one of God's finest creations! I love them...

Kari F. said...

UMmm I got boxes and boxes. My lovely neighbor blessed me with three more boxes. So please come out and take as many as you all can eat. They are delicious!

Sheila said...

What neat pictures! fun read. Love, Mom

Emily said...

Rob brought home a copier paper box of those for me last year. I think they called them sand pears here. Maybe it's another type altogether. The sand pears were very hard, a little grittier and I made the mistake of using a recipe one of the gals from Rob's work sent home with the pears. Yuck! I would have been better off doing just what you did and make sauce or dehydrating them. I made some chutney that was too sweet and I just never could eat it. It took me forever, too and what a waste it was. Yours look awesome. Enjoy!