Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Snow day #1

 
 
 
We have been having such a great time today. We got about half an inch to an inch of ice and a teeny bit of snow. The kids got a snow day, yeah! The day started very early for us. The kids up about six this morning, why? you ask. Heaven only knows. I swear on school days they want to sleep in on days off, the earlier the better. My kids have yet to exhibit any sleeping-in gene. CRAP! Wyatt was up at 5:30, so it wasn't a total loss. We all hung out, the kids played great. I don't know what it is with large families. Sometimes the noise and fighting level is beyond explaination. Then there are days and sometimes a whole week, like today. Everyone gelled, got along, had fun, helped one another, helped ME. The older boys were gone a lot, what with snow to be conquered. They go to a sledding spot behind our town dump(which isn't like it sounds). The whole town of children go there. Off what used to be railroad tracks, are some apparently rockin' sledding slopes. Max and Luke were out in the cold, wet, and snow for at least six hours today. I think they are nuts. Sam spent the morning playing at the dump and with Ally at her house. After lunch he called it a day and hung out with Jarrod and I and OJ and Wyatt. We had a ball. Jarrod is going to cash in all his change, so Sam was helping him count out and sort. Getting all the quarters we need for our collections of state quarters. Crap, I need to remind Jarrod we have a fifth child that needs his own collection. We currently have only four of the quarter books. We properly decorated the tree this evening, Max was pleased. He'd been begging for two weeks. Most days he'd come home from school and ask, "We decorating the tree tonight?" He came in from sledding, both times, asking the same question. Its been a running joke between Jarrod and I. So the tree is now decorated in all its gaudy glory. Ornaments from Jarrods childhood. One from mine and many for our kids. I do so love all the school created ornaments. This year I'll get three! I'm still glowing from such a wonderful day and wanted to spill it out onto everyone else. Oh PS I ate an elk steak this evening, and it was delicious! No gamey flavor and was shocked. I'd figure and elk to be more kin to deer. But it tasted like sirloin of beef. No kiddin. So to you brave folk give it a try, you don't even have to be brave. Jarrod got the elk from his dad, who hunted and shot one. Next October, Jarrod and his dad are going to Colorado to hunt elk. Jarrod is over the moon, and I expect a daily countdown soon.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Oh what fun!! It takes me right down memory lane. Families are just like that gaudy Christmas tree. The ornaments set out one by one can be beautiful, homely, sweet, hideous or unusual, but put it all together, stand back, and you have a glorious creation. God's working with me that way these days...no matter what comes along if I just stand back(put it in perspective of the whole) I can see His work.

Anonymous said...

Love the nonchalant comment about your kids playing at the dump. I am still laughing!

Say hi to everyone!

emmy