This is my 262nd blog, FYI. I just thought "Wow! That's a lot. I'm kind of a blabbermouth." Not why I'm posting though. I just haven't jotted anything down in a while so I shall bore you all with the mundanalities of my life. Good word, huh?
You can all exhale now, my two older boys whom have been playing some form of baseball since they were five, found a team to play on. Luck was on our side, thankfully. For those of you that don't know about the drama this year, I'll fill you in.
We live in a cute little town with a great ballfield. I mean top notch. Its a pride of our small town. Its even equipped with one of those scarily tall and metal tornado slides of my youth. Not the plastic safety ones that you don't even go fast on. What's the deal with those slides anyways? Granted, I much prefer those slides for my under-three year olds, but for bigger kids...Yuck. I digress. Our town has always had a T-ball team, and a coach pitch boys team, several years ago the girls softball team disinigrated, and the following year went the boys player pitch baseball team. At the time I didn't understand the implications of this. Now the coach pitch team has gone, not enough players to form a team. Which is total horse puckey. I live in this town and KNOW there are plenty of boys living here in the right age range. Why aren't they joining the team. Its so frustrating. Team sports in small towns seems to be dwindling, it makes me sad, very sad.
I want these things for my children. They are reminiscent of a simpler time. I love WALKING to the ballfield to watch my kids play. I love giving my daughter a quarter for the concessions stand and she'll be thrilled because she got four pieces of gum, or three small laffy taffy's. I love talking with my neighbors/friends. When will I do that now?
Our boys sadly are playing for a neighboring small town that still has a team to join. Which means no walking to games. No sending the boys on their bikes to go to practice. This also means I'm going to have to acquaint myself with a whole new group of adults. ECK! I'm painfully shy and socially retarded sometimes. Its what happens when you've spent the last twelve years gestating and raising children. You forget what to do when you meet new people. You stare and hope they are more socially advanced than you. Hope they reach out and introduce themselves, cause I sure ain't gonna. Not that I'm a snob. I just can't make that leap.
So in finality, they are on a team. They will surely know some of the kids, as they all attend the same school. Luke and Max and their friend Preston will all be on the team together. Max who exhibits some talent surely needs this, and Luke who in the past has voiced his disdain for all team sports actually wanted to join a team this year, and I don't want to disappoint him. He needs team anything. Although I will have a tiny newborn and travelling to games totally stinks, I'm glad for my boys and my husband. He was very happy they found a team.
In other news, I'm on the three week countdown to Fortner #6. I'm getting very nervous/excited/frantic. I've been nesting like a fool. Clean, clean, clean. But have nothing in the house for the baby. NOTHING! Not a carseat, or sheet or crib. My husband has yet to catch up with all my organization and totes. I still need to purchase a new mattress for the crib. But who cares. The great thing about having had five kids, I'm pretty relaxed about the setup stuff. I don't care if I get home from the hospital and Jarrod hasn't done anything, because I know he will. There will be plenty of neighbors and family to help if we ask. I know I'll be able to sit back and absorb the energy.
Wish us luck!
Chronicles of my family. Sort of like a family journal. All 8 of us. Jarrod and Kari (mom and dad)-married 11 years. Luke-12, Max-11 Sam-9, Olivia-6, Wyatt-4, Cicilia-1. It's Crazy.
3 comments:
Loved this Kari, what a commentary on what is happening all over with the disappearance of team sports. Sad that you can't walk to the games and that you may have to reach out and meet new people, I am with you there. And I am not ready for this baby either and I still have 15 weeks to go. It will fly by. I hope to get the crib out of the attic next weekend. No mattress here either. With a baby only as big as a football, we will make do. I have a couple packs of onesies around here from a friend, so what else do I need, really??
3 weeks, I can't wait!!
Loved your commentary of social awkwardness. So true. I just stumble over words with strangers. And my family knows my ineptness so I just go along merrily ignorant.
No Pananma boys Team??? What?? what town will they be playing with? Even the Holland/Panama girls teams seem to be disappearing!!!
Mom, I have to say you have NO problem speaking to strangers.
TGIF
*AS
Post a Comment