I have done it! I'm currently on my fourth weekly menu plan session. I guess I've finished it, not currently working on it anymore. The internet is a virtual cornacopia of recipes and even menu planning sites. Most of the recipes I ignore right out of hand. I like to check out healthy and simple recipes, mixed with some of my faves. Pioneer woman is popular with me. But I limit the recipes I make of her's to one a week.
Trying to blend adult and kid palate's can be difficult. My kids have fairly mature palates mainly due to the fact that I hate mac and cheese and such kid friendly foods. They can tolerate spice fairly well. Which Jarrod and I love. Me especially cause I'm just craving mexican/tex-mex food like crazy. BEANS, CUMIN, CHILI POWDER, CILANTRO, GUACAMOLE, SPICE..... Ahhhh.
The kids love it. I write the menu down on a notebook piece of paper and post in on the fridge, both for my convenience and theirs. They ask which one are we having tonight, the reference it all week. I never put them in order and I leave one or two days for flexability. Because sometimes I don't want to make a to-do out of dinner and make mac and cheese or sandwiches. Being in the kitchen all night is not a major thrill. But I want to try different recipes and want the kids' diet to vary.
So while I only put the main dish on the menu, there are always sides dishes worked in in my head. Sometimes I write them down, cause my memory can be a little scattery. Something I thought would be good with sloppy joes on Monday, I may forget by Saturday when they are made.
My menu is planned Monday morning, and goes through Sunday. I love it! And now I'm gonna share what The Fortner's will be eating for their evening meal all week. Don't gasp in horror please. Some Monday's I'm feeling much more adventurous than others. I think I got a good mix this week.
Weekly Menu
For the week of February 1-7
Pasta Primavera w/ salad side
Sloppy BBQ Chicken Pizza
*Breakfast for dinner*
Apple French Toast w/ scrambled eggs
Kielbasa Stir-fry w/ fruit salad
Shredded BBQ Beef Sandwiches w/ Coleslaw
Tuna w/ Garlic Cheese Biscuits
Trying to blend adult and kid palate's can be difficult. My kids have fairly mature palates mainly due to the fact that I hate mac and cheese and such kid friendly foods. They can tolerate spice fairly well. Which Jarrod and I love. Me especially cause I'm just craving mexican/tex-mex food like crazy. BEANS, CUMIN, CHILI POWDER, CILANTRO, GUACAMOLE, SPICE..... Ahhhh.
The kids love it. I write the menu down on a notebook piece of paper and post in on the fridge, both for my convenience and theirs. They ask which one are we having tonight, the reference it all week. I never put them in order and I leave one or two days for flexability. Because sometimes I don't want to make a to-do out of dinner and make mac and cheese or sandwiches. Being in the kitchen all night is not a major thrill. But I want to try different recipes and want the kids' diet to vary.
So while I only put the main dish on the menu, there are always sides dishes worked in in my head. Sometimes I write them down, cause my memory can be a little scattery. Something I thought would be good with sloppy joes on Monday, I may forget by Saturday when they are made.
My menu is planned Monday morning, and goes through Sunday. I love it! And now I'm gonna share what The Fortner's will be eating for their evening meal all week. Don't gasp in horror please. Some Monday's I'm feeling much more adventurous than others. I think I got a good mix this week.
Weekly Menu
For the week of February 1-7
Pasta Primavera w/ salad side
Sloppy BBQ Chicken Pizza
*Breakfast for dinner*
Apple French Toast w/ scrambled eggs
Kielbasa Stir-fry w/ fruit salad
Shredded BBQ Beef Sandwiches w/ Coleslaw
Tuna w/ Garlic Cheese Biscuits
Oh and as an added bonus I will now include a very healthy muffin recipe that becomes less healthy because you want to eat each and every freakin' one!
Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins
Make today and you won't be sorry! Promise.
Here's what you'll need:
dry ingredients
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
3/4 c. dark brown sugar (I only have light on hand and works just fine.)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans would be the best)
1/4 c. sweetened, dried cranberries
1/4 c. raisins or golden raisins
wet ingredients
1 1/4 c. pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
2 eggs (can subsitute egg beaters, just use 1/2 c.)
1/2 c. natural applesauce or canola oil (I use half and half)
1/4 c. orange juice/ water/ apple juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tin.
First, put your cranberries and raisins in a bowl, cover with warm water and nuke for a minute.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, including fruit and nuts if using. In a smaller bowl mix all the wet ingredients. Always adding the wet to dry, use a rubber spatula to fold in the wet ingredients. DO NOT OVERMIX. Just make sure its all moistened and then drop your spatula.
I use an ice cream scooper to put them in the greased muffin tin. You gotta be generous. This makes a ton of batter, but not enough for 18 muffins, so fill up twelve.
Bake 18-20 minutes or until they bounce back or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
I eat em plain, or with apple butter, or with cream cheese. Yummy and enjoy!
1 comment:
Yum Kari! I have to get on the planning bandwagon. I was so wingin it during my ill period, now I gotta get on track! Half way through the week, I go "uhhhh, ummmm" what's for dinner? Plan I will! Tonight it's turkey burgers with parmasean green beans and homemade applesauce. My midwife is a turkey pusher due to it's highest protein status. So I bought a bunch of light turkey links and ground meat.
Post a Comment